Green Tonic for Liver and Gallbladder Support
- Mar 23, 2022
- Kelly Harrington, MS, RDN
Spring is the season of growth, regeneration and new beginnings. It’s also time to focus on and take extra care of your liver, according to traditional Chinese medicine. It’s the perfect season to align your body, diet and actions by adding liver-supporting herbs and nutrients to your daily arsenal, whether that’s milk thistle capsules, dandelion root tea, or a liver-supporting blend of nutrients.
Liver Love ♡
Regularly taking nutrients and herbs that support the work your elimination organs are already doing is the best way to “cleanse” the liver. Certain plant phytochemicals and nutrients were designed by nature to support both phase I and II of your liver’s detoxification pathways.
Liver supporting nutrients and herbs are designed to support skin and digestive health, but are excellent for supporting normal, healthy hormone balance and inflammatory levels. They’re also an excellent tool to get your system eliminating the things we’re exposed to on a daily basis, so you feel and function optimally.
Supporting Bile Production & Flow
The liver manufactures bile and bile has many jobs!
- Bile breaks down fats and without it your body wouldn’t be able to handle fat digestion.
- Bile regulates the consistency of the stool, and without it, bowel elimination would be difficult.
- Bile neutralizes acid from the stomach, and without it the stomach would slowly reduce the production of stomach acid (HCl), which would impede digestion over time.
The liver and bowels are the body's main organs for cleansing the blood and tissue of toxins. Keeping the liver decongested is important to maintain overall well-being.
Beets contain betaine, a substance known to support liver health and promote the flow of bile so it can do all its work. Beets should be a staple in every diet.
Eat Green In Spring
Green is the color of the liver and of springtime. Eating young plants - fresh, leafy greens, sprouts, and immature cereal grasses - can promote the liver’s overall functions and aid in the movement of the body’s “Qi” (aka: energy or life force).
Green Tonic Recipe by Dr. John Douillard
makes about two, 8 ounce servings
- 1 bunch parsley
- 3 medium zucchini
- ½ lb. green beans
- 5 stalks celery
- Steam all ingredients for 8-10 minutes, and then mix in blender. You can add a little warm water.
- Drink 1 Green Tonic, or up to 3 per day, as a meal or with meals. Use as needed for gallbladder and liver support.
- Options for more flavor: Make it a soup by adding garlic, ginger, and salt, pepper and lemon to taste. Add 1 small beet with a slice of fresh ginger and the juice of ½ a lemon. Other green vegetables can be substituted. Avocados add a nice creamy texture.
Loving Your Liver In Spring,
Kelly Harrington, MS, RDN
Registered Dietitian Nutritionist for Healthy Goods