A recipe you'll go to time and time again. Mostly savory, with a little sweet from the dates, crunch from the cashews and a simply fresh and herby dressing make this a winning combination. Excellent as a vegan main course or side dish, and great for potlucks since it doesn't require constant refrigeration.
- 2 14-ounce cans vegetable broth
- 2 cups long-grain brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups raw (or roasted) cashews, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups sliced pitted dates (about 7 ounces)
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Bring broth to boil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Mix in rice. Return to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook without stirring until rice is tender, about 40 minutes. Spread out rice in large baking pan and cool.
Transfer rice to large bowl. Add cashews, dates, and green onions; toss to blend. Whisk olive oil, lemon juice, chopped cilantro, and ground cinnamon in small bowl. Add to rice and toss to coat. Season salad to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.)