Wondering how to win friends and influence people with a delicious vegan dessert? Here it is. Coconut provides a natural sweetness, greatly reducing the amount of sugar required.
Grilled pineapple slices make the perfect accompaniment to this impressive dessert.
- 1. Combine ¼ cup almond milk and cornstarch in a small bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- 2. Bring remaining almond milk to a boil in a large saucepan with sugar, stirring until dissolved. Add shredded coconut. Stir well until mixture returns to boil. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Strain into a bowl, pressing coconut firmly to extract as much milk as possible.
- 3. Transfer milk to a clean saucepan and add coconut milk and salt. Bring to a simmer. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to pan, whisking to combine. Keep stirring until mixture thickens slightly. Remove from heat and allow to cool, stirring occasionally. Refrigerate until cold.
- 4. Preheat grill. Stir agave and oil together until emulsified; brush onto pineapple slices. Grill for 2 minutes; turn and grill other sides for 1–2 minutes. Remove and allow to cool.
- 5. Pour mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. Scrape into a container and place in freezer to firm up before serving. Serve on grilled pineapple disks.
PER SERVING (1/2 cup plus 1 slice pineapple): 171 cal, 5g fat (1g mono, 0g poly, 3g sat), 0mg chol, 1g protein, 31g carb, 3g fiber, 84mg sodium
Recipe by Alan Roettinger, and posted on DeliciousLiving.com website, found here.