Your home - whether big, small or somewhere in between - should be your sanctuary, a place where stress is left at the door and your soul is nurtured. With the holidays near, spending a Sunday afternoon implementing even a few of these suggestions can make a noticeable and enjoyable difference.
For a more comforting environment, consider implementing the following:
1. Bring the outdoors in. Green plants, cut flowers and blooming bulbs, pieces of wood, rocks and other organic elements can create a feeling of nature indoors.
2. Paint a room to suggest a mood. For instance, blue and green promote a relaxed feeling and may be good choices for the bedroom, while warm colors (maroon, coral, burgundy) suggest a cozy environment and may be inviting in a family room.
3. Surround your senses with beauty. Artwork, fragrance, smooth textures and calming sounds all provide a pleasant environment in which to relax.
4. Set aside a room or area for peace and calm. A place for spiritual reflection and meditation can provide shelter from noise and distraction.
5. Clean out clutter. A low-maintenance home is refreshing after a day of hectic meetings, errands and chores. Fewer items can mean less frustration.
6. Create an atmosphere of love. Display handmade or meaningful gifts from loved ones and photos of family and friends.
Tips courtesy of Dr. Andrew Weil's 11/7/14 newsletter.