If you're dealing with adrenal fatigue, or suspect it's an issue for you, then you know how miserable it can be. Our adrenal glands play a huge role in stress response and are involved in producing a variety of essential hormones. When these tiny glands, each about the size of a walnut, are overtaxed for a prolonged period of time, they become exhausted and their function declines.
If you suspect you may have adrenal fatigue, speak with your doctor. Alternative medicine professionals, including naturopathic physicians and functional medicine practitioners, often use a saliva adrenal hormone test to determine a natural course of treatment. To find a functional medicine practitioner in your area, take a look here.
Diet and supplements that support adrenal health are crucial pieces to healing, but let's focused on a sometimes-overlooked area: lifestyle.
1. Rest when you feel tired
2. Sleep 8-10 hours a night
3. Avoid staying up late & stay on a regular sleep cycle. Ideally, in bed before 10pm and expose your eyes to natural light immediately upon waking up.
4. Laugh and do something fun every day
5. Minimize work and relational stress
6. Eat on a regular food cycle and reduce sugar and caffeine intake
7. Exercise (even moderate exercise and walking can help)
8. Avoid negative people and self talk
9. Take time for yourself (do something relaxing)
10. Seek counsel or support for any traumatic experiences
And don't forget: LISTEN to you body!
Source: Dr Axe "3 Steps to Heal Adrenal Fatigue"