Would you pledge to go meat-free for the month of October? You might just win some cash!
October 1st is World Vegetarain Day and is the annual kickoff of Vegetarian Awareness Month. Eating vegetarian even just ONE day will make you eligible for the cash prize drawing. Vegetarian diets help people, animals and the Earth. Take the VEG PLEDGE here.
If you've ever wondered why someone would stop eating meat, here are some reasons.
Reasons Vegetarian Diets Benefit People, Animals and the Earth:
- Reduce the risk of major killers such as heart disease, stroke and cancer while cutting exposure to foodborne pathogens.
- Provide a viable answer to feeding the world’s hungry through more efficient use of grains and other crops.
- Save animals from suffering in factory-farm conditions and from the pain and terror of slaughter.
- Conserve vital but limited freshwater, fertile topsoil and other precious resources.
- Preserve irreplaceable ecosystems such as rainforests and other wildlife habitats.
- Decrease greenhouse gases that are accelerating global warming.
- Mitigate the ever-expanding environmental pollution of animal agriculture.
If you currently follow a vegetarian diet, get the non-vegetarians in your life to tke part in the Vegetarian Awareness Month pledge. If you haven't already, explain why vegetarianism is important to you. Tell them about the benefits of meat-free diet, and tell them if they go meat free this October (no meat, fish or chicken) they could win up to $1000!
Thank you! Your efforts will help people, animals and the Earth.
Kelly Harrington, MS, RDN
Registered Dietitian Nutritionist for Live Superfoods