What does summer bring? FARMER'S MARKETS!!!
10 reasons to visit your local Farmer’s Market:
1. Community Support--Support your local economy by supporting your local farmers.
2. Freshness--fruits and vegetables are very fresh and often picked that same morning!
3. Yummy--Far superior tasting fruits and vegetables. Why? See #2!
4. Health--The fruits and vegetables are often organic. Organic means you aren’t ingesting harmful pesticides.
5. More Environmentally Friendly--less shipping costs and pollution, less fuel usage, reduced packaging costs
6. Save Money--the prices are often cheaper than the grocery store because the cost of the middleman and pricey shipping are eliminated.
7. Get The Scoop--A great opportunity to talk to the farmer directly about where your food comes from and how it’s produced.
8. Cooking Help--If you see a vegetable you are unfamiliar with and want to give it a try, you can ask the farmer how to prepare it or for recipe ideas.
9. Involve Your Kids--shopping at a farmer’s market is a great way to get your kids involved in cooking and trying new foods. Let them pick out something new to try, then they can help prepare a meal or snack.
10. Discover Variety--farmer’s markets are full of interesting, unusual fruits and vegetables you don’t see in the grocery store.
When perusing your market, remember to consider the
Kelly Harrington, MS, RD
Registered Dietitian Nutritionist for Healthy Goods