Goji Nutrients and Benefits
The goji berry, a sweet red fruit native to Asia, has been used as a medicinal food for thousands of years, and has been studied extensively in modern times to substantiate its health benefits. With over 15% protein, 21 essential minerals, 18 amino acids, and one of the highest amounts of beta carotene, the goji berry is a nutrient-dense superfood in a class all its own.
Perhaps the most important nutrient in goji berries though is its polysaccharides, most notably the lycium barbarum polysaccharides (LBP). Studies show that LBP polysaccharides are exceptional sources of the essential cell sugars necessary for proper immune function and intercellular communication.
These polysaccharides can enhance health in a variety of ways, including helping cancer patients rebuild their natural defenses, improving DNA restoration and repair, and maintaining normal cell growth; and they may help slow the aging process.
LBP also contains lutien and zeaxanthin, which are beneficial to visual acuity. Goji berries are an abundant source of nutrients that can provide retina protection, and are thus particularly recommended for diabetic patients.
In addition to LBP, the fruit contains a full complement of other nutrients:
- 18 amino acids, including the 8 essential ones
- More antioxidant carotenoids than are found in any other known food, including more beta carotene than carrots, and zeaxanthin (which protects the eyes)
- Rich source of vitamin C
- Nearly as much protein as bee pollen
- 21 trace minerals, including germanium, an anti-cancer substance rarely found in foods
- Vitamins B1, B2, and B6, and vitamin E
Some of the many beneficial effects from using goji berries, goji berry powder and juice are:
- Strengthens the immune system
- Increases longevity and protects from premature aging
- Helps prevent cancer and aids remission
- Protects the liver
- Builds strong blood and promotes cardiovascular health
- Supports eye health and improves vision
- Maintains healthy blood pressure and blood sugar
- Stimulates secretion of human growth hormone
- Strengthens muscles and bones
- Supports normal kidney function
- Improves fertility and treats sexual dysfunction
- Helps reduce obesity
Goji berry is also widely used to reduce the craving for sugar. It is especially useful for hypoglycemic people and for hyperactive children. In Asia, it has been traditionally regarded as a longevity, strength-building, and sexual potency food of the highest order, widely believed to increase sexual fluids and enhance fertility.
LiveSuperfoods has Raw Goji Berries, Pure Goji Juice made from the whole fruit and Goji Berry Powder (ideal for smoothies, making your own juice, adding to nutrition bars...), all in stock. All organic & raw!