The Lysine and Vitamin C combination is a powerful one! Together they benefit collagen production, skin health, immune health, and various facets of cardiovascular health.
Vitamin C Health Benefits
- Vitamin C is an extremely important water-soluble antioxidant in the human body.
- Antioxidants help reduce damaging free radicals that accumulate daily and are believed to trigger a natural “inflammatory reaction” throughout the body.
- Free radicals must be neutralized to keep a strong immune defense and to support healthy aging.
Lysine Health Benefits
- The essential amino acid Lysine is probably best known for rejuvenating and supporting skin health.
- Lysin has several other benefits, including favorable effects on maintaining healthy blood pressure, and a positive influence on mood and nervousness.
- Lysine may help support the body’s innate resistance to pathogens.
- It’s thought lysine blocks another amino acid called arginine, which therefore supports lip health.
Vitamin C + Lysine Promotes Healthy Collagen Production
Vitamin C is needed for the manufacture of collagen, the glue that holds cells together. A lack of vitamin C means poor collagen, resulting in cracks appearing between coronary cells thus leading to various types of unhealthy aging. Without sufficient vitamin C to produce collagen, a major component of cartilage, bone eventually wears away in normal aging, and eventually bone grinds on bone.
When you combine vitamin C's skin health benefits with Lysine's skin health benefits, it's a powerful combination.
Vitamin C + Lysine Promotes Healthy Circulation
Vitamin C and Lysine are combined to assist the cardiovascular system. This duo supports normal blood flow and circulation and is crucial for optimum long-term health of the coronary arteries and other arteries in the body.
Research about Vitamin C, Lysine, and cardiovascular health is based on the Linus Pauling Protocols about Lipoprotein A, cholesterol levels, and atherosclerotic plaque.
Endogenous cholesterol is produced by the HMG-CoA pathway and high levels of Vitamin C inhibit this enzyme; therefore, it may help support normal, healthy cholesterol levels. Vitamin C and lysine are both Lp(a) binding inhibitors. They increase the blood flow as plaque in the arterial wall dissolves.
They achieve this by beginning a chemical process that reverses the occlusion, making the artery better able to dilate as necessary. Lysine binding sites are created on the walls of blood vessels by injury / lesions and attract Lp(a) cholesterol, which forms the original plaque deposits. It is believed a deficiency in vitamin C leads to the formation of these lesions. By supplementing with lysine, extra lysine molecules enter the bloodstream. These molecules then compete with the residues on the blood vessel walls and therefore may help to prevent Lp(a) from being deposited or even possibly remove and destroy atherosclerotic plaques.
Vitamin C + Lysine Maintains a Healthy Immune Response
Vitamin C provides antioxidant protection and helps promote the body’s own natural immunity levels. It provides support for the normal healing of sores and wounds.
Lysine may help support the body’s innate resistance to pathogens. It’s thought lysine blocks another amino acid called arginine, which therefore supports lip health.
Additional Health Benefits of Vitamin C + Lysine
In addition to providing immune support, healthy collagen production, and a healthy cardiovascular system, vitamin C and lysine supplementation helps support:
- Good vision
- Healthy teeth and gums
- Healthy bones and cartilage
If you have tried our Lysine C, please drop us a comment about what you thought.
Kelly Harrington, MS, RD
Registered Dietitian for Healthy Goods