When it comes to superfoods, you don’t need to ingest a huge amount to reap the benefits. For most superfoods, consistency is more important than quantity. Taking superfoods in “shot” form is my favorite way because it's quick and easy. Here are five different shots for five different health benefits, and each of them also supports digestive health and a normal inflammatory response. Like I always say, a happy gut means a happier mind, and a happier you!
My time-saving tip: make a whole pitcher of shots at once. For a week, Just multiply the portions by seven, mix it all together, refrigerate, and dispense daily. They'll keep in the fridge for up to one week—or freeze them in large ice cube trays and thaw as needed.
HEALTHY INFLAMMATORY RESPONSE SHOT
1 tsp ground turmeric + ¼ cup coconut milk + a pinch of black pepper
Toss one back: once a day at any time.
Taste: Rich and creamy with a hint of heat (minimal)
- Turmeric’s powerful antioxidant compound, curcumin, contains more than two dozen compounds that promote a healthy inflammatory response.
- Black pepper enables your body to absorb as much as 2,000 percent more curcumin—and coconut milk helps too.
SPEED MUSCLE RECOVERY SHOT
¼ cup tart cherry juice (mix tart cherry juice concentrate with water to dilute) + 2 tsp chia seeds + a pinch of sea salt
Toss one back: up to an hour before your workout and/or immediately following exercise.
Taste: sweet, sour, and salty all at once.
- Runners who drank tart cherry juice bounced back more quickly post-marathon and had less muscle soreness than those who drank a placebo. Anthocyanins in tart cherries have been found to inhibit enzymes involved in the creation of pain sensations in the body. It may help ease aches and discomfort caused by training and competition.
- Water absorbing chia seeds help replenish the fluids you lose during a sweat sesh.
- Electrolytes in sea salt fend off muscle cramps and help you maintain water balance.
BLOOD SUGAR SUPPORT SHOT
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar + 2 tbsp water + ½ tsp ground cinnamon
Toss one back: Right before each meal.
Taste: Pretty sour—expect to squint while downing it.
- Research proves ACV’s ability to stoke your metabolism before a meal and blunt post-nosh blood sugar spikes by as much as 20%.
- Water mellows this shot’s sharp taste and the effects of the acid on your tooth enamel.
- Rich in chromium, cinnamon supports a healthy insulin response by encouraging your body to burn sugar for energy rather than storing excess as body fat.
1 tbsp liquid chlorophyll (powdered chlorophyll also works) + 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice + 2 tbsp cranberry juice
Toss one back: One more a week, or after overindulging.
Taste: Earthy meets fruity.
- Chlorophyll is the green pigment that gives leafy greens and algae their color. It contains antioxidants that help protect healthy cells from free radicals and aid your liver in detoxifying your body. In fact, chlorophyll binds to and removes heavy metals from the body.
- Your liver uses the vitamin C in lemon juice to produce bile, which is needed to break down fat. Vitamin C is also a strong antioxidant that assists the immune system.
- Cranberries support the function of the kidneys, the organs that promote whole-body detoxification and acid-alkaline balance.
MENTAL ACUITY SHOT
1 tsp ashwagandha powder
2 Tbsp tart cherry juice
Taste: the tart cherry flavor masks any bitter ashwagandha flavor. I use my coffee frother to whip this concoction together.
- Ashwagandha is an amazing adaptogen.
- It is very effective for stress, nervousness, thyroid & adrenal function, healthy sleep, brain and cognitive support, immune function, reproductive health and fertility, menopausal health.
Do you have a favorite “shot” you like to drink first thing in the morning?
Kelly Harrington, MS, RDN
Registered Dietitian Nutritionist for Healthy Goods