A little unknown fact about me—I love beauty products! You name it, I have lots of it…lotions, sugar scrubs, salt scrubs, soaps, body wash, lip balms, and the list goes on. I’ve also become very particular about the brand of product I buy, all pending on its ingredients.
While pregnant, I discovered most commercial “products” contain an alarming number of chemicals, heavy metals, and other toxins, which are quickly absorbed through the skin and into the body’s blood stream. These chemicals were drying out my skin and I obviously didn’t want to expose my baby to anything harmful.
Now I look for products made with “natural,” and ideally organic, ingredients that smell great and feel so good on my skin. Does SODIUM LAUROAMPHOACETATE, OXIDIZED POLYETHYLENE, SODIUM TRIDECETH SULFATE or CHROMIUM HYDROXIDE GREEN sound natural to you? Me, either. (Partial list of ingredients from OIay’s Pore Minimizer Scrub).
My one complaint about many of the “natural” products? Their cost! After a little exploring, I figured out I could make my own beauty products at a fraction of the cost. Even better, I get to choose the quality of the ingredients and the results have been very satisfying.
Lemon is great for brightening dull, dry skin, so common during the winter months. Another reason to love this recipe is its versatility. You can substitute the peppermint scent for practically any essential oil scent, such as lavender for calming, tea tree for soothing, and sweet orange for brightening your mood.
This time of year, these homemade items also make great gifts for friends and family. Give it a try!
Here is one of my favorite -- Lemon Meringue Sugar Scrub Bar
- 1/4 cup Organic Coconut Oil
- 1/2 cup Shredded Soap (use an unscented type)
- 3-4 drops of Lemon Essential Oil
- 1 cup Organic Sugar
Silicone molds; any shape you want your bars to be.
- 1. In a double boiler, melt your shredded soap. It can take up to an hour to fully melt so be patient. If you do not have a double boiler, microwave in 15 second intervals, stirring in between until melted.
- 2. Mix in your coconut oil until combined and add your lemon essential oil.
- 3. Separate into two separate bowls.
- 4. Add ½ cup sugar to each bowl, doing one bowl at a time. Mix until well combined. You are looking for a slushy like consistency.
- 5. Pour into your silicone molds and allow to dry for 1-2 hours before unmolding.
*If your sugar and soap mixture gets too thick, microwave in 10 second intervals until you are able to pour.
In Health and Happiness,
Kelly Harrington, MS, RDN
Registered Dietitian Nutritionist for Healthy Goods