If you offered advice to a new mother, what nutrition and physical activity related things would you tell her are important for “growing” a healthy child?
A parents actions have such a great impact on their child’s life and well-being. How well do you practice what you preach with your own children?
Small, everyday actions can have a big return in terms of a child’s health and happiness.
Kelly’s top 10 ways to grow
1. Let them decide how much to eat.
2. Offer water instead of juice.
3. Include an organic fruit and/or vegetable at each meal.
4. Present healthy foods as "treats."
5. Serve fat-free, organic milk to children over two.
6. Use mealtime to strengthen family ties.
7. Lead by example -- "walk the talk."
8. Create activities -- for you and them -- everyday.
9. Provide attention instead of food or the bottle.
10. Encourage and praise their efforts.
What will you do this week to help your child grow happy? Leave a comment about how you grow a happy kid!
In Health and Happiness,
Kelly Harrington, MS, RD
Registered Dietitian Nutritionist for Healthy Goods
AZ Department of Health Services
Bureau of USDA Nutrition Programs
AZ WIC Program