Wake up to this refreshing Berry Smoothie. Made in just minutes, it can be enjoyed year round thanks to frozen berries. It can also be eaten for a meal or snack. It's natural with no added sugar and filled with protein to give you a lot of "staying power." Lastly, don't forget to add a little healthy fat. Great choices for this particular smoothie are avocado, coconut oil, coconut manna, or full-fat coconut milk. Many vitamins, namely the fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E, and K, require a source of fat for optimal absorption. Certain antioxidants behave similarly and become far more bioavailable when consumed in conjunction with a healthy fat. Enjoy!
- 1 small ripe banana, fresh or frozen
- ½ cup any berry mix (strawberry, blueberry, raspberry, blackberry), frozen or fresh
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (coconut, hemp, almond) or coconut water. I like adding a little full-fat coconut milk for the extra fat.
- 1 scoop strawberry protein powder
- 1 tsp coconut oil or other healthy fat source
Smoothie Add-Ins: seeds (chia, hemp, or flax), nuts (walnuts, cashews, almonds), greens (kale or spinach)
- Add banana, berries, protein powder, fat of choice, and liquid to blender.
- If berries are fresh, add 4-6 ice cubes to make the smoothie colder.
- Blend until you have a smooth, creamy consistency.
- Pour smoothie into a cup (preferably a glass or stainless steel cup) and Enjoy!
Kelly Harrington, MS, RDN
Registered Dietitian Nutritionist for Healthy Goods