Some of the prettiest household plants can be the most lethal to furry friends. To safeguard the pets in your house and neighborhood, check out this list.
They’re especially harmful to cats and certain species are toxic to dogs too. Even small amounts of any part of the plant can cause severe kidney problems.
They’re shrubs with white, pink and red flowers. They contain compounds called cardiac glycosides, which can cause heart problems, hypothermia or death.
These grow in Southern states and along the West Coast. It has a crown of shiny, dark green leaves on a thick shaggy trunk. Eating this plant can be fatal in up to 75% of cases. Look for neurologic changes, seizures and liver failure. Symptoms can appear within 15 minutes to 3 days. All parts are toxic, but the seeds are the most dangerous.
As it becomes legal in more places, watch your pets around this plant. Consumption of any part of the plant can cause mild neurologic signs (stumbling or altered mental state) or more serious complications, like seizures and even a coma.
This type of flower contains substances known as grayantoxins, which can produce vomiting, drooling, diarrhea, weakness and depression of the central nervous system in pets. Severe azalea poisoning could ultimately lead to coma and death from cardiovascular collapse.
If chewed or ingested, this common houseplant can cause significant mechanical irritation and swelling of the oral tissues and other parts of the gastrointestinal tract.
This beautiful flower is toxic to dogs, cats and horses. If ingested, it can result in vomiting, depression and diarrhea. The highest concentration of toxin is in the bulb.