These fragrant Chai-Spiced muffins taste as good as they smell and are a treat anytime. For an afternoon pick-me-up, enjoy them with a cup of hot coffee or tea, or even some chai. Make them vegan using a vanilla-flavored coconut, almond, or hemp yogurt and almond milk.
Makes 1 dozen muffins
2 cups gluten-free almond flour
¼ cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground coriander
½ teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground allspice
½ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
½ cup vegan vanilla yogurt
½ cup plain or vanilla almond milk
¼ cup pure maple syrup
3 tablespoons coconut oil
1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 400oF. Lightly oil a 12-cup muffin tin or line with paper liners and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, coriander, ginger, allspice, cloves, salt, and pepper.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the yogurt, almond milk, maple syrup, oil, and vanilla, stirring to blend. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring to incorporate well. Do not overmix.
4. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin (the batter will be thick). Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 15-20 minutes.
5. Let cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack. Serve warm. If not using right away, cool the muffins and store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 12 hours. These muffins taste best if eaten on the same day they are made.