Paleo Toffee Caramels
Prep time: 20 mins Cook time: 15 mins Total time: 35 mins
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup almond butter (sunflower seed butter would work for a nut-free version)
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup coconut nectar
- ¼ cup water
- ⅓ cup dark chocolate pieces (chocolate chips or a chopped bar would both work!)
- 1 oz square unsweetened dark chocolate
- 1 teaspoon palm shortening
1. Measure your vanilla and almond butter and have ready to go.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (I used a 9 x 12 size and my Silpat)
3. Make the toffee: Place the coconut sugar, coconut nectar, and water in a medium saucepan over medium/medium high heat, stirring occasionally until it comes to a boil and the sugar has dissolved.
4. Insert a candy thermometer (don’t let it touch the bottom of the pan) and boil until it reaches 285 degrees.
5. Remove from heat and quickly stir in almond butter and vanilla.
6. Quickly pour the mixture into the awaiting pan, spreading evenly to about ½” thick. The mixture thickens quickly and you get to spread it to your desired thickness: it does not spread on it’s own.
7. Use a greased knife to score the candy while it is still warm, into bite-size squares. Continue scoring until you have cut through the mixture.
8. Cool completely for 2-3 hours.
9. Prepare you chocolate coating by melting the remaining ingredients together.
10. Use two forks to dip each piece of toffee into the chocolate and cool on the same parchment lined cookie sheet until firm and set.
11. Store in an airtight container in the fridge to keep it crisp.
Recipe courtesy of Tessa The Domestic Diva