The main reason to use a coffee enema is to remove toxins from the body. Believe it or not, coffee enemas are actually a common thing people do. It involves injecting coffee via the anus to cleanse the rectum and large intestines. Don't miss part 1 discussing The Benefits Of A Coffee Enema. Part 3 is the entire coffee enema procedure, and part 4 is helpful hints for doing a coffee enema.
If you're interested in doing a coffee enema, here are more details.
How Often, How Long, and When?
- One or two per day. A third could be taken to help with a healing reaction.
- Do enemas daily for at least six months or more. Most people benefit from doing them for several years.
- The best time to take an enema is before a meal or two hours afterwards. Otherwise it may interfere with digestion and cause uncomfortable gas and bloating.
- Do an enema after a sauna session.
Cautions and Contraindications
- Doing coffee enemas daily requires a little practice to work out a comfortable routine.
- When done properly, coffee enemas do not cause habituation, constipation or any rectal problems.
- One may get a slight rush from the caffeine, though it is not like drinking coffee. Use less coffee if you are sensitive, but do not use decaffeinated coffee.
- Enemas taken in the evening could interfere with sleep. However, they help sleep if symptoms of toxicity are keeping a person awake. To find out if you have toxicities, I highly recommend getting a Hair Mineral Analysis done. It tests Antimony, Uranium, Arsenic, Beryllium, Mercury, Cadmium, Lead and Aluminum.
- Those with anal or rectal fissures, or severe hemorrhoids, often have difficulty with coffee enemas. Extra care is needed in inserting the enema tip. Some of these individuals find the coffee enema very difficult to do at all.
- One may not have normal bowel movements for a while when doing one coffee enema daily. This is generally fine. However, one will need to do a quick plain water enema before the coffee retention enema to clean the colon if one has not had a bowel movement within about 6-19 hours before the coffee enema.
In Health and Happiness,
Kelly Harrington, MS, RDN
Registered Dietitian Nutritionist for Healthy Goods
Reference: Nutritional Balancing and Hair Mineral Analysis by Lawrence D. Wilson; L.D. Wilson Consultants, Inc.; Fifth edition edition (May 12, 2016); pg. 506-507.