These fresh tacos are filled with a delicious rich “cheeze” made of cashews and cilantro, and topped with a crumbled nut “meat” of heart-healthy walnuts and spices. The cheeze keeps for three or four days in the fridge and the meat for up to a week.
Scoop the cashew mixture on top of a salad, or serve as a dip with sliced carrots and cucumbers. The walnut mixture also is great sprinkled over a salad or on soup.
- 8 small-to-medium romaine leaves
- 1/2 cup natural low-sodium salsa, any flavor
- 1 avocado (pitted and sliced)
CASHEW-CILANTRO "CHEEZE" (makes 1 cup)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic (about 2 cloves)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (1 lemon)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves (packed)
- 1/4 cup filtered water
GROUND WALNUT TACO "MEAT" (makes 1 cup)
- 1 cup raw walnuts
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid aminos, or soy sauce
- Pinch of salt, to taste
To make cheeze: Place garlic and salt in a food processor; process into small pieces. Add cashews and process into paste. Add lemon juice, cilantro, and water; process to mix well. Set aside.
To make meat: Place walnuts, cumin, coriander, liquid aminos, and salt in a food processor. Process into small pieces until the mixture looks like ground meat; be careful not to overprocess into a butter.
Scoop 2 tablespoons cashew mixture down the inside spine of each romaine leaf. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons walnut mixture. Add salsa and avocado slices. Wrap and serve.
PER SERVING (1 taco): 228 cal, 72% fat cal, 20g fat, 3g sat fat, 0mg chol, 6g protein, 12g carb, 4g fiber, 229mg sodium
Recipe courtesy of DeliciousLiving.com, created by Ani Phyo, and found here.