As seen on Ellen's show last week, here's a delicious, fresh tasting vegan salad recipe that Top Chef Padma Lakshmi whips up with Ellen. To watch the video of Ellen "getting her hands dirty", click here.
Padma Lakshmi's Vegan Pondicherry Lentil Salad
- 2 cups beluga black lentils
- 1 Fuji apple, cored and diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- juice of 1 1/2 ripe lemons
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup loosely packed, chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
Wash the lentils and soak them for 2 hours in tepid water; drain. In a deep pot, add 8 cups of water to the lentils, bring to a boil, cover, and cook on low heat for 20 to 25 minutes. Rinse the lentils with cold water and drain. Make sure the lentils are cooked but firm, not mushy. In a large bowl, mix together the lentils, apple, bell pepper, jalapeno, olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, salt, and parsley. Stir and set aside in the fridge. Just before serving, heat the sesame oil on medium-high heat. When hot, roast the ginger and coconut for a few minutes until golden and toasty. Sprinkle this garnish over the lentils and serve immediately.
Makes 6 servings.
Padma Lakshmi's recipe courtesy of EllenTV.com, found here.